Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Using Theater for Educational Reform

Feeling lucky to have worked with the amazing Maria Asp who founded this group called Act for Education which has goals to create theater about education and perform for the communities that are affected by gaping problems in educational policy in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Her background and expertise comes from working as the head of the Neighborhood Bridges program, founded by Jack Zipes which exists underneath the Children's Theater Company. They work in the public schools every day with this program, teaching theater for social justice and literacy improvement, and so they know how politics constantly create barriers for kids to learn and grow.

Read the article about what they are doing, and be inspired! I am so proud that I can put on my resume that I spent a year working with these amazing people, and I am so excited to see what they do with this group, I wish I could be a part of it! Imagine how powerful it would be to begin a dialogue about public education through a theater piece? They are setting the bar high for what potential there is to do community issue-based work about such an important topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment