Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Twinning Project

One of the first projects I really wanted to share was the Twinning Project. This link will just take you to an excerpt on Amazon, if you want an entire article, just comment and I would love to send it to you, or you can just order the book by Noel Grieg to learn more.

Two youth theater companies or schools from different parts of the world, or even different parts of the country, or a state or city, complete a series of activities in which they send each other specific information about their culture. Some examples are sending a box of 10 items, sending postcards, sending an account of a full day, or a full day's encounters with food, doing a similar service project in the community, and also later on the two groups practice the same theater exercises and activities for devising. With this information, the two companies develop a devised theater piece dedicated to, or for the other company. Using the specific landmarks, stories, cultural information, the group chooses what is important to highlight in a theater piece that is shared with the other group and vice versa.

The Creative Arts Team in New York City has done this, and has an amazing video example that we were able to watch in my MA program, but the book illustrates another example that was done between groups in Brazil and England.

I am also posting this as a call to any theater people in other parts of the country or the world that would be interested in doing this with me and my kids at the Denver Center for International Studies in Denver, CO. I think this would be an amazing opportunities for students to really learn about another culture through theater, as well as shape a clearer picture of what they think and feel about their own culture and how they want to portray it to other students.

Please comment back if you are interested!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Caroline! I love that you have started this blog for drama teachers; a great place for connection and sharing. Anyway- I am drama teacher at a school in India, and I would love to do a twinning project with your school! What grades are you thinking about in particular? I teach 6-10 grade- so any of those classes could pair up with yours. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! If you would like, I can email you the article with the activities outlined so you have a better idea of what it entails, then we can start planning. Thank you so much for reaching out, I can't wait to work with you.

      Delete