Thursday, July 25, 2013

Great flicks for drama teachers

Here are two films I watched recently about teaching drama that were pretty inspiring and give, what I think, very accurate and real accounts of the work it takes to teach and direct theater for youth. My wonderful boyfriend DVRed them both from me on OnDemand on DirectTV, but I am sure you could search for them on your cable provider, the library or even NetFlix. 

Shakespeare High documents teenagers immersed in the Drama Teachers Association of Southern California's high school Shakespeare Festival that has been in existence for almost 100 years. Alumni of this program include Val Kilmer, Kevin Spacey and Richard Dreyfus, but don't be fooled, the students in this program are faced with many challenges, which they overcome through immersing themselves in this program. I highly recommend for urban public teachers, I shed tons of tears. 





Thespians gives insight to the intense preparation necessary for competing in the largest thespian festival. It follows four schools in Florida with students involved in different types of competitions and does reveal the outcomes of their performances. I learned a lot about the logistics of thespian competitions, (which admittedly I have never done!) and I was really invested in the students and their success. 



So grab some popcorn drama teachers! 


P.S. "Girls on the Wall" is another film, recommended by my former teacher, Sonja Kuftinec. I can't wait to check it out, it documents an original musical being created by girls in a juvenile detention center. Hopefully I can find it at the library!


No comments:

Post a Comment