Monday, September 2, 2013

Physical Theater on Broadway: "Peter and the Starcatcher"

My parents were in town this weekend for the long, Labor Day vacation, and I took them to the Denver Center for Performing Arts to see, "Peter and the Starcatcher." Maybe I missed the boat, but this was fantastic! I may be a bit biased, because I have a deep passion around the story of Peter Pan (wrote a 30+ page dramaturgical protocol on in last year for grad school) but it wasn't just the story that engaged me. The actors were on stage the entire time, doubling up the characters that they played with different items of the set, props, they used minimal other items to create the set as well, but truly using their bodies to transform and create the world of the play. I have never seen a "big name" Broadway touring show be so inventive, and physical with their acting.


I am beginning a week of movement and voice with my students tomorrow, and I am going to show them some of this little clip to give them a great example of improvisationally-based physical theater. It is refreshing to see that the Broadway venues are appreciating work that doesn't come to town with huge, elaborate sets and costumes, but returns back to the basic and most powerful tool of the actor, which in my opinion is the body. I am going to challenge my students to create with their bodies environments that live and change. Hopefully they grasp this concept, because I can't wait to see what they come up with!  

No comments:

Post a Comment