Monday, August 12, 2013

Taking students to the Big Apple

Sorry for the lack of posting for a bit. I was actually in New York City for a long weekend, for pleasure, nothing professional... yet.



Some outside of our field may call it crazy, but I had so many experiences traveling as a student that I couldn't pass it up especially starting at Denver Center for International Studies this fall. My new school does tons of travelling, with an emphasis on the international trips. But I thought, why not in my first year take a stab at taking kids to NYC for a Broadway-themed tour. 

I have been using EF Tours who work with my school on a lot of their international trips. They have been really excellent to work with, considering my lack of experience and being new the school.  I have my own tour website that families can preview the trip through, they have created all the advertising for me, written my parent letters, done my parent meeting powerpoint, given lots of incentives and freebies for enrollment, overall I think they run a great touring company and I can't wait to take kids next summer. 

Who else has taken students to NYC, and what companies have you used? What have you taken them to do and what advice and tips do you have to share? I know some of my east coast colleagues are able to just collect money and take a bus there and see a show in a day, (how nice would that be?) but this is a little bit bigger of an endeavour, and MY first time actually taking students outside of Denver. I hope to instill a love for New York in my students the way that I fell in love with it as a young theater lover myself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment